[WG: Sakai QA] Jira process clarification and modification - "Target Version"

Pete Peterson plpeterson at ucdavis.edu
Thu Aug 20 19:51:15 PDT 2009

Greetings,

We have received many comments expressing confusion concerning the current Jira implementation.   We are in the process of reviewing Jira and workflow schemas, simplifying and clarifying the intake forms, and evaluating suggestion received from Jira users. We are always looking for additional feedback, suggestions and comments, so please send us any ideas you may have. In the next few months we will accumulate and organize the results and post them to the Sakai community for review.

 In the meantime there is a relatively simple change we would like to implement immediately; details follow:

BACKGROUND
------------------
There is a great deal of confusion with the "Fix version/s" field in the current Jira Schema. Sometimes it is used as a pointer to the version where they would like to see the bug/task /enhancement included, sometimes it is used as a bookmarker for future development work, and sometimes it is left blank. This modification should help clarify the use of the Fix Version/s field.

PROPOSED CHANGE
-------------------------
* Add New Jira Field: "Target Version/s"

EXPLAINATION of FIELDS
* Affects Version/s:  Reporter files and issue report and selects one of more current release/*.x branch versions to which the issue applies.  The number of affected versions may be modified subsequently by the assignee, project team, QA, etc. as the issue is investigated.

* Target Version/s: Assignee/project team indicates one or more future release/*.x branch versions to which a fix is expected to be applied.  The Target version offers an opportunity for assignee, QA or project team to leverage Jira's scheduling and planning features to target the version where the issues will be resolved.  The targeted version may be changed if, for instance, the team is unable address the issue in time for the specified release. The Target Version/s should be set by the project, QA or release management team members only.

* Fix Version/s: the release/*.x branch version(s) to which the fix is actually applied as the result of branch and release management work.  The Fix Version/s should be set by the branch and release managers only.

        [cid:image001.png at 01CA21AE.83EC5490]

Let us know if you have any comments ASAP and thank you again for your help,

Pete Peterson
QA Director, Sakai Foundation
plpeterson at ucdavis.edu
Phone: +1-530-754-7259