[sakai-pmc] [Using Sakai] Does anyone know how the group permissions at the top of Resources tool work?

Ziegler, Jeff ziegler at umich.edu
Tue Jan 27 10:33:40 PST 2015

I don't think you can set Group permissions at the level of the Resources root folder.  If you create a folder underneath the root folder and assign it to Group 1, members of that Group will then see an Add menu for that folder with items corresponding to the granted permissions.  Note that for a given file in that folder, a user granted Delete Own will not see a Remove option for files uploaded by others, just for the ones they've uploaded so don't be mislead if you don't see the Remove option for test files you might have uploaded in your own role.

To allow for file interactions for all Resources files you will need to grant that to a role at the root level.

On Jan 27, 2015, at 12:28 PM, Fawei Geng <fawei.geng at it.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Does anyone know how the group permissions at the top of Resources tool work?
>
> The purpose of my test was to allow members in a group with access or student role to be able to create/delete files in a folder in Resources while other users with access (student) role in the site are still able to view the folder content.
>
> This is how I tested:
>
> ·         Log into a Sakai project site as a maintain role (I believe it will be the same for a course site).  Create a group via Site Info > Manage Group.  The group includes a few access users (or students)
> ·         Go to Resources and click on “Permissions” at the top: see attached screen shot “Permissions -1”
> ·         On the next page, click on the drop-down list next to “Set permissions for” and select the group created, e.g. group, and then I granted ‘create’ and ‘delete own’ permissions for this group
>
> As a result of above, I was hoping that  the group members would be able to create/delete files in Resources in the site.   However, after logging into the site as a group member, I was not able to create/upload files in Resources.  In other words, the settings above did not make much difference.
>
> Could anyone please let me know where I did it wrong?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Fawei
> Fawei Geng, FHEA CMALT MBCS
> Learning Technology Support Officer
> IT Services, University of Oxford
> 13 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 6NN
> Blog: http://blogs.oucs.ox.ac.uk/fawei/
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/oxford4learning/

"New != better.  Different != better.  Only better == better."

Jeff Ziegler
ITS Teaching and Learning Group
University of Michigan

Piloting Canvas? 24/7 support is available to instructors:
	• Access live chat through the Help menu inside Canvas
	• Call Canvas Support at (844) 329-3130
	• Login to Canvas at Michigan for self-help materials