[sakai-pmc] Strategies to deal with email list archives

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Thu Jan 15 05:16:45 PST 2015

Hi Sakai PMC,

We have a couple of options for dealing with keeping the old Mailman (aka
Collab server) archives as we move our lists to Apereo Google Groups.

1) AWS S3 storage. I already did a small proof of concept of this with
January archives of Teaching and Learning.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/apereo.sakai.collab.archives/2015-January/index.html

2) We could also look at importing all the old messages into Google Groups
itself. There is an API for it. We would just need to get someone to script
this and run it. John Lewis has agreed to help facilitate some testing if
someone was interested in pursuing it.
https://developers.google.com/admin-sdk/groups-migration/

AFAIK, money wise both options are cheap/free (S3 cheap/ Google groups I
presume is free). Using option 1 is the easier of the two to set up. Option
2 seems like it might be simpler for people interested in searching our
archives with one place to go.

Are there any volunteers for doing scripting? What do you think of the two
options? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Neal

P.S. If we go with option 1, and if it matters, we do have control over the
"container" name and I could use sakai.collab.archives instead of
apereo.sakai.collab.archives, etc. There are some naming restrictions with
S3 (lower case, no spaces, etc.).