[sakai-pmc] [sakai-forum] Re: What do we think of this so far?

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Tue Jan 6 07:09:27 PST 2015

I have a gmane crawler that I wrote in Python.

www.py4inf.com/code/gmane.zip

I use the sakai mailing list as the example data to crawl and have done this for a number of years.   It is described in Chapter 15 (page 198) of my Python book.

http://do1.dr-chuck.com/py4inf/EN-us/book.pdf

I would guess that my crawler is likely not exactly what we want in terms of pages, but it is a nice start.   It turns out that it takes a long time to crawl a gmane list due to their requests w.r.t. rate limiting - so it needs a database so it does not have to start over all the time.

I don't know if this helps at all - just figured I would share.

/Chuck