[sakai-pmc] Revising/trimming Sakai developer and install documentation

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 02:37:44 PST 2015

Hi all,

Now that Sakai is up on github, I wonder if its a good time to have a think
about the complexity of the developer and installation documentation and
trim it massively so it's just the essential steps.

I strongly feel that the days of hand holding people through installing
third party software are gone. Those sites generally do a good job
themselves. If it's Sakai specific then we describe it, if it's not then we
just say, Install Tomcat 7 (for example).

This page is a classic example of being far too verbose:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/BOOT/Install+Tomcat+7

It would be ideal if the simplest instructions to get up and running are
put into the readme and then the rest of the doco trimmed and migrated to
something like https://pages.github.com/

Thoughts?

cheers,
Steve