[sakai-pmc] Documentation space on Github?

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Mon Feb 16 07:28:58 PST 2015

Hi Sakai PMC,

I don't know if you all remember that a couple of years ago there was an
effort started, but which stalled, to move technical documentation to
Github [1] from Confluence.

Now that Sakai is in Github, this seems like a more natural place for many
types, but not all types, of documentation.

What do you think? Should we try and revitalize this effort? At least on
small scale to see if efficiencies can be gained? And certainly to make it
easier to do "crowd sourced" documentation?

Specifically, I was thinking of moving the Release documentation page [2] ,
which actually is not in Confluence but just a plain old html page, served
up with a static web server (I think). For now, I would just use Github to
update this Release notes page, but deploy in the same place. I just
imagine that at some point we could automate moving the static page from
Github to AWS S3, right? Piece of cake? Then, with a little thought, maybe
we could start managing the release notes in chunks that could be reused on
Confluence, on Sakaiproject.org, etc.

Anyway, curious what you think.

[1] Github semi-abandoned documentation effort -
https://github.com/sakaiproject/sakai-documentation

[2] Sakai Release notes page (this is produced in addition to Confluence, I
guess as a 1 page summary? would love to simplify the release notes
location, management and deployment, etc) -
http://source.sakaiproject.org/release/
<http://source.sakaiproject.org/release/10.3/>

Thanks,
Neal