[sakai-pmc] [DG: Open Forum] Plan - from Mailman to Google groups

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Wed Feb 4 07:42:00 PST 2015

I've had some off list questions and discussions with several people. I've
double checked that we can move existing accounts and that google accounts
are not required for subscribing.

send an email to that address and Google groups will kick off a short
verification process to subscribe your non-google email.   So for sakai-dev
it should be sakai-dev-subscribe at apereo.org .

Accessing public list archives does not require a login. Hence the need for
security lists not to keep an archive.

I am thinking I would like to create a simple html page that explains what
the lists are for, how to subscribe, to unsubscribe, and how to access
archives, in our documentation Github site [1] (which has not gotten use so
far). And see if that then can easily be re-purposed on our
Sakaiproject.org website and Confluence, and linked (of course) from other
areas, like our Sakai project source code spaces [2] (as separate from the
documentation space) on Github.

It would be nice to get in the habit to write once and reuse the
information multiple places. This is a low risk way to try this approach
out.

People can subscribe with their Google accounts instead of whatever they
use for Mailman, if they like, and we can also mention this on the simple
html page. There is some advantage to using your google account I imagine,
like easily accessing all of your google groups, including non-Sakai.
(though why would someone want to subscribe to a non-Sakai list? Weird.)

We could also just provide the instructions for subscribing and let people
move themselves, but I would prefer to minimize the disruption of the move.
I prefer if folks choose to unsubscribe consciously rather than be dropped
off the list and never getting around to re-subscribing.

Additional documentation suggestions and guidance welcome also.