[sakai-pmc] Feature for 10.3 ?

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Nov 11 07:10:09 PST 2014

I believe we were happy with the trial period of the policy and it was
reviewed and accepted as a good guideline back in 2011. I still reference
and go with it when considering features.

The important qualifications I'd consider are that it is running in
production and that it's non disruptive to the user experience. If it is
disruptive or has i18n changes, then the feature should be able to be
disabled via property so that the schools where it will be disruptive can
leave it disabled.

The problem with even adding a new button somewhere means that any local
schools help or training sessions need to be updated, which we don't like
to do in a minor release. This caused a problem with some features like
extra credit in grade book. A great feature for the next release but I
don't think there was any way to disable it, so not a ideal maintenance
branch candidate.

So for this feature, I don't see any way to disable it and it requires a
couple of new translations. Even though it's been running in production, it
has caused a few regressions. (Which is why we want it to run in
production) I'm all for getting features back into maintenance branches so
schools don't have to worry about maintaining a fork but we also need to
keep the branch stable.

I'm more leaning on target this to 10.x right after the 10.3 release for
10.4 if a property is added to disable it. (Even if all that does is
disable the checkbox) Not so sure about doing it before.