[sakai-pmc] grant Ben Holmes commit access to Signup tool

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Thu Mar 20 06:37:37 PDT 2014

>  If someone suggested a committer for a project of programmer at company.with.lots.of.patents would we reject the granting of commit rights based on who they worked for?

Under the scenario you describe an individual CLA would be regarded as insufficient.  The PMC would block the nomination while we consulted with the Apereo Licensing group, and if warranted, competent legal counsel.   This is not a theoretical proposition.    When Chuck Severance accepted part-time employment with Blackboard we sought and received in May 2012 a corporate contributor license agreement (CCLA) from Blackboard along with supporting documentation specifying Chuck, John Fontaine and George Kroner as authorized committers.  Chuck has noted on several occasions that Blackboard funded his Sakai work during the period; I very much doubt that we would have accepted his Blackboard-funded contributions or those of other named Blackboard employees without a CCLA on file.

If Pearson or Instructure forked Sakai and their devs later knocked on our door with pull requests accompanied by individually signed CLAs I expect that we would decline to accept their PRs until we had secured a corporate contributor agreement from their employer.

Anth

anthony whyte | its and mlibrary | university of michigan | arwhyte at umich.edu | 517-980-0228