[sakai-pmc] grant Ben Holmes commit access to Signup tool

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at it.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 20 03:23:06 PDT 2014

On 20 March 2014 01:44, Anthony Whyte <arwhyte at umich.edu> wrote:
> Granting committer access to our core repo has legal implications both for
> the project and the Foundation.  Ensuring the integrity of Apereo Sakai IP
> and the copyright and patent grants required of committers is sufficient
> justification for the PMC to exercise oversight of the process.  It falls
> squarely within the PMC's operational remit, irrespective of the scope of
> the request (global vs module).

Isn't the completion of the CLA as far as we go with this?

I can't see how the PMC can ensure the "intergrity of Apereo Sakai IP"
and the "copyright and patent grants required of committers" beyond
making sure that the committer has signed the CLA. If someone
suggested a committer for a project of
programmer at company.with.lots.of.patents would we reject the granting
of commit rights based on who they worked for?

> Leaving it to a 1 or 2 committers of a core module to decide on their own
> whether someone gets commit access to the Sakai core repo is not good
> practice.

I think having the PMC aware of what is happening is very good, it
means the PMC becomes aware of who is working in particular areas and
keeps people in touch with changes to the community.

--
  Matthew Buckett, VLE Developer, IT Services, University of Oxford