[sakai-pmc] Feedback requested for Online Help schedule

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Tue Jan 21 08:33:15 PST 2014

[pmc and sakai release team]

[need feedback this week, preferably by Thursday close-of-business]

Hey All!

Quick update on the Sakai 10 online help documentation. It got kicked
off to a great start, thanks to Wilma Hodges, Longsight and a great
supporting caste. Our planning team is Wilma, Elizabeth Venstra
(eventually transitioning off, but incredibly active and helpful), Alan
Regan, Matt Clare and myself. We have 10 licenses for Screensteps.com
and we had more than 10 volunteers! A good problem to have. We had an
approx. 2 - 3 hour virtual working meeting this past Friday over Adobe
Connect and started producing Sakai 10 documentation. Wilma is checking
with Sam for the technical integration components and how that is
envisioned. The team is mostly focused on content creation, starting in
English.

Which brings up a few planning points (or at least a couple):

* I'll look into whether we can have a Spanish translation happen in
parallel. In case you haven't noticed the S2U community (Spanish
Speaking Users group) has been active on many fronts (including QA
testing, bug fixing, translating the Sakai 10 release notes, and more),
and if not Spanish, I'll look for other languages. That seems like a
good idea, true? When can other translations happen? Is that typically
before a final release or can that happen after Sakai 10 is out the door?

* What should be the schedule for when Sakai 10 Online Help
documentation needs to be completed?  I'm thinking that it is okay to
work on the help documentation through the "Beta" or "pre-Release
candidate" time frame, but it should be done in time for Release
candidate 01 [1].  So I think if we target documentation completion for
about a week before RC01, then do a review to see if there are any major
pieces we've missed then there will be a little time for cleanup and we
should be good to go. How does that sound?

[1] Sakai 10 schedule targets -
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/REL/Sakai+10+Release+Schedule+and+Scope

Thanks,
Neal