[sakai-pmc] [Building Sakai] Lazy consensus proposal to branch Sakai 10

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 03:27:35 PST 2014

Yes, ical4j requires this library as it still supports older version of Java. The library is a backport of the java.util.concurrent classes. It’s not ‘crazy’ since they are scoped to a completely different package and won’t be used by anything unless explicitly called. So I think the objection is unfounded.

See here for more details:

http://backport-jsr166.sourceforge.net/robustness.php
"The backport has been around since December 2004. It has been downloaded tens of thousands of times. It has been successfully used in many open-source and commercial projects. Arguably, it has become a de-facto standard concurrency library for Java 1.4, and by now, it is very well tested by its users.

Moreover, the backport is based on a very stable and robust code base of JSR 166 and dl.util.concurrent. This partially explains why so few bugs have been reported against it. Once again, I would like to express gratitude to the JSR 166 expert group for doing such a great job, and for their commitment to open source."

So IMO its a valid addition. Feel free to lobby ical4j to update their dependencies though.

regards,
Steve