[sakai-pmc] Fwd: [apereo-projects] Unconference: Nature and Timing

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 11:48:39 PST 2014

Hi all,

This came through from Ian. What are peoples thoughts about timing,
location and theme? Please provide feedback on list or directly to me and
I'll collate and pass it on.

cheers,
Steve

-----------------
I have continued to discuss the nature and timing of the 2015 unconference
with interested members of our community.

The following suggestions have emerged from those discussions. It would be
very valuable to have feedback from software community, project governance
bodies and regional groups before we proceed with further planning.

1] it was felt that a face to face event had genuine value, but that the
event should be re-focussed to more closely serve the needs of software
developer communities within Apereo. The emphasis would be on providing
space for working project meetings, and accompanying the space with
essential infrastructure (good WIFI, beer and pizza were all mentioned).
There would be an allowance of time for an element of cross project
communication on topic/s that were agreed in advance or arose at the
meeting, but this would be minimal, and the focus would be on allowing
projects to set their own agendas and meet their own needs. To make the
nature of the event clear, it would be rebranded either as Apereo Developer
Community Days, North American Apereo Developer Community Days or similar.

2] The event would continue to be located at a higher ed institution, to
keep costs as low as possible. Locations with rich telepresence facilities
would be preferred, to allow remote participation - particularly for those
outside North America.

3] We want to get the timing right for as many software communities and
projects as possible. February-May is usually crowded with a series of
events organized by software communities and projects, or by national or
regional groups. It was felt that to keep sufficient distance from the June
Open Apereo Conference, the following timeframes should be considered -

Early November
Early December
Mid January

There was a substantial lobby for the event to be somewhere warm. I'm very
open to alternative suggestions and rationales.

I'd be very grateful if you could discuss on your PMC or other governance
body and provide feedback. We want this event to work for you and your
community, but we do need that feedback to accomplish this.