[sakai-pmc] Incubation questions

Bryan Holladay holladay at longsight.com
Tue Dec 17 05:53:55 PST 2013

I was under the impression that the incubation process was for new
projects: "providing scaffolding for the formation of new projects and
communities of interest through their critical formative stages" [1]  Sakai
has obviously been around for a long time and it's suite of tools should be
vetted within Sakai's community.  I'm not discounting the incubation
process and if they are willing to lend resources to vet tools, then by all
means use that resource if you feel the need to (or the community suggests
to before adopting).  However, it shouldn't be a requirement.  We as a
community shouldn't be adopting any tools that are added to core without
satisfying a certain number to "ticks" [2] such as internationalization,
since that is a big feature of Sakai (internationalization that is).

-Bryan

[1] http://www.apereo.org/content/incubation
[2] Steve (see above, or below; depends on your email client)