[sakai-pmc] Sakai 10.0 Schedule

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Wed Dec 4 07:33:27 PST 2013

Yea, I've mentioned to Neal to that it would be good to have some kind of
spreadsheet like the 2.9 [1] one up on confluence. Megan and I mostly
maintained that one, and it wasn't guaranteed to be entirely accurate while
working on it , but in the end it was correct and it gave people a rough
idea of what to expect.

I think the schedule you proposed below and the write-up is what we're
aiming for. I believe all features have been identified on SAK-24197 that
either are in or that we'd like to have in prior to the beta (if someone
puts the effort into getting them in). There are a few new tools mentioned
over the past few weeks that some would also like to see included. I'm not
sure yet if those are going to be in and stealthed, included as an
experimental profile that you can build from source but not the binary (as
they are now) or not in at all. This will be something we work out over the
next few weeks I'd bet.

The first "pre-release"was cut and put on qa on 11/15. Since then there has
been a lot of bug and security fixes so this feels out of date already.
There are also some cleanup blockers involving old code cleanup and
conversion scripts, so it's still very pre-release at the moment.

I think the biggest ??? in the schedule will be the time between beta (the
branch cut) and RC as we have no specific date/event *yet* for a ribbon
cutting pow-wow like we do with the beta. I feel like it won't take more
than 2 months, but that could put it anytime in March, and 03/07, 5 weeks
after beta, seems a few weeks optimistic to me at the moment, especially
with schools getting ready for spring/summer terms. I believe the time
between beta and RC would be longer than RC and release, since we should be
good to go for RC. So the only change I'd make is that RC is more likely at
the end of March (around 8 weeks, so 3/21 or 3/28) then we'd set a goal for
the release prior to Learning Impact (which is May 5th). RC should really
be good to run with very minor changes before cutting the first release.
Then we'd have a month to even get out a .1 release if anything does come
up for early adoptors prior to the Sakai conference.  We had some clients
running the 2.9 RC last year. (When it came out in September 2012) and I
don't remember any huge problems aside from performance in a few tools.

Many of Longsight clients have been asking about the new release so if this
is good to go we'd likely be doing upgrades next summer for most like last
summer for 2.9. I'm not sure if we'd have anyone ready to go by May. We've
merged back many of the new features that are going in to 10 into local
forks so going to 10 won't be nearly as huge a change as the upgrade from
2.7 or 2.8 was, but there are looking like some solid improvements that
didn't make it back into the branches. The changes in the build process
should make this release much easier to deploy and maintain too. Aside from
trying to deal with RSF in github, I've been pretty happy with building 10.
;)

I'd like to see some target dates for beta, and release-candidate tags put
> into the schedule as well. I think if we aim to have a mid-May general
> release we will end up having the release in June. A June release will be
> too late for most institutions to adopt over the (northern hemisphere)
> summer. I think we should challenge ourselves to put out a release in April.
>

> UM would like to help with QA, load testing, and if the release looks
> stable, a summer production deployment. What other institutions are
> considering Sakai 10? I think we need to know who the early adopters are.
> Ideally what I'd like to see is something like this:
> Dec 06 cutoff for new feature proposals for Sakai 10
> Jan ?? Sakai 10.0 first test-a-thon
> Jan 30 Sakai 10.0 branch cut at Apereo Boot Camp (beta 01)
> Jan 30 String freeze
> Feb ?? QA test-a-thon
> Feb 14 Beta 02
> Feb ?? QA test-a-thon
> Feb 28 Beta 03
> Mar ?? QA test-a-thon
> Mar 07 Release Candidate 01
> March/April release candidates every 2 weeks (with test-a-thons in-between)
> Apr 30 Production Release

[1]
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/REL/Sakai+2.9.0+Release+Schedule