[sakai-pmc] Sakai 10.0 Schedule

Kirschner, Beth bkirschn at umich.edu
Wed Dec 4 06:42:44 PST 2013

I'm worried about the lack of a published Sakai 10.0 schedule. There have been milestones proposed, revised, and discussed over email, and while it's unrealistic to think that we can lock a schedule in stone, I'd still like to see something maintained in confluence.

I've found the following out-of-date page, but I'd like to see it updated and emailed to sakai-dev and sakai-qa:
     https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/REL/Sakai+10+Release+Schedule+and+Scope

The above page lists mid-October as a "scope freeze", which we've passed. Anthony has proposed this Friday (December 6th) as another "scope freeze". If there's agreement, I'd like to ask Neal to send out a last-call email reminding people of this Friday's cutoff.

I'm really glad that Neal is trying to schedule a bug-bash before the end of the year. I think we also need to decide how often we should try cutting new tags and running test-fests next year. Every two weeks?

I'd like to see some target dates for beta, and release-candidate tags put into the schedule as well. I think if we aim to have a mid-May general release we will end up having the release in June. A June release will be too late for most institutions to adopt over the (northern hemisphere) summer. I think we should challenge ourselves to put out a release in April.

UM would like to help with QA, load testing, and if the release looks stable, a summer production deployment. What other institutions are considering Sakai 10? I think we need to know who the early adopters are.

Ideally what I'd like to see is something like this:

Dec 06 cutoff for new feature proposals for Sakai 10
Jan ?? Sakai 10.0 first test-a-thon
Jan 30 Sakai 10.0 branch cut at Apereo Boot Camp (beta 01)
Jan 30 String freeze
Feb ?? QA test-a-thon
Feb 14 Beta 02
Feb ?? QA test-a-thon
Feb 28 Beta 03
Mar ?? QA test-a-thon
Mar 07 Release Candidate 01
March/April release candidates every 2 weeks (with test-a-thons in-between)
Apr 30 Production Release

Thoughts?
- Beth