[sakai-docs] [Building Sakai] sakai worksite setup

Alaa NIZAR alaanizar at iihem.ac.ma
Wed Nov 19 13:31:33 PST 2014

Hi,

I'll add some info to that of Neal.

Sites: it is a tool only available to Admin user. It lets you create and manage sites from the ground.  Let's say for example that you want to add a page/tool (displayed on the left side menu of a site) that is broken into two frames, just like the Home page appears. You can only do this with the Sites tool. You can also specify the height of the frame in which the content of a given page/tool appears. You can also control access of a tool based on users' permissions, for example only users with site.upd can see this page.

Realms: it is a tool that lets you control permissions of each tool on a users role basis. You can set global configuration that will apply to all new sites, even the old ones. For a site-by-site config, you can change the Realms on each site independently.
There you will see the default site roles, you can add new ones, and you can even specify tool's permissions on a user-by-user also.

Worksite setup: it is kind of a lite version of Sites Tool. You can add/remove/order tolls, add participants, create groups, import content from other sites, control site access, ...etc.
Many of the functions of the Worksite Setup tool mirror those of each Site Info Tool, available to site maintainers.
Worksite Setup is available through My Workspace, whereas Site Info is available in each site.

This is just a basic idea of those tools.

I recommend that you go through Universities documentation of Sakai to understand the basics.

 You can also check Youtube videos on Apereo channel. Try to understand the logic behind Sakai, before digging in.

The learning curve of Sakai is bit long, but the outcomes are really really great. You gonna love it, trust me!

It is not just an out-of-the-box system, it's a huge framework that lets you do anything you want. But first, understand the logic behind it.

Good luck man,

Yours,
Alaa

Sent from Samsung Mobile.

You must be logged on as admin/admin ?   If you log in as a non-admin user, you will not see those options.

Sources of administrative documentation include a book on Sakai by Alan Berg and Ian Dolphin [1]. Our Sakai wiki [2]  (though I'm not 100% sure how up to date this is). There is also Google, of course :-) and group email archives (and gmane.com and nabble.com makes searching email archives a bit easier).

Plus, I'm sure you will be thankful that the Sakai documentation group has started work on administrative documentation! This is far from complete but we have a nice start on an outline (volunteers welcome!) [3].

[1] Sakai CLE Courseware Management book - http://www.amazon.com/Sakai-CLE-Courseware-Management-Experience/dp/1849515425/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1416430539&sr=1-3&keywords=sakai  (I'm not endorsing Amazon.com, just pointing to a place you can learn about the book.)

[2] Sakai Wiki - https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+Admin+Guide+-+Full  (please note, you might have to search around Confluence to find what you need. Lots of information, but not always easy to find :-(  .

[3] Sakai online help documentation (in progress)- http://sakai.screenstepslive.com/s/5276/m/13946

I hope that is not too overwhelming, but you've got to start somewhere.  :-)

Cheers,
Neal