[Building Sakai] [Using Sakai] Site stats for Lessons Tool and LTI tools

Pat Miller pmiller at nd.edu
Tue Mar 31 06:34:24 PDT 2015

Hi, Adam,
If the tools are part of Sakai, you can get data on the usage of the
tool--e.g., lesson_builder vs. melete 'lessons' tools.

Our hosting partner provides us a table to query events, users, etc and I
can query using Tableau: (here you see some counts of faculty uses of
melete, lesson_builder, etc.)

[image: Inline image 1]

For LTI tools you can't get the usage data of the tool since that is with
the tool vendor, but you can query events to find the basiclti launch
event, then you add the REF field to see which tool is being referenced by
the basiclti launch.  Below is an example of how to find course sites that
are using Piazza:  (just figured out how to do this, by the way)

[image: Inline image 2]

Hopefully we can get vendors to provide usage data back to us.  The
Internet 2  Common Solutions Group is planning to approach Piazza, by the
way, to provide usage data back to the partner institutions for the purpose
of learning analytics.  Perhaps compliance with LTI 2.0 will provide for
the return of usage data, not sure?

Pat Miller
University of Notre Dame