[Building Sakai] Removing the Neo portal, XSLT, and PDA portal from trunk / Sakai 11

Adam Marshall adam.marshall at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 17 01:26:08 PDT 2015

Dump it!

Adam

sent from my phone

On 17 Mar 2015 01:11, Charles Severance <csev at umich.edu> wrote:
Hi all,

With the move to Morpheus as the default portal, I am thinking the time has come to remove some of the legacy code from /portal - while it might seem like a good idea to hold onto this legacy code for as long as possible - at this point it is purely a source of potential errors in our code base.

In particular there is a lot of special case code for the PDA portal that really clogs up the internal structure of the code and makes it really difficult to trace through what is happening in the portal code.  I just spent about four hours tracing through code to figure out what was breaking in SAK-28978 and had to ignore a lot of pretty intricate PDA code to see what was going on.

There is no plan to make PDA, Neo, or XSLT work or be supported in Sakai 11.  And since the removal of these elements will be a large amount of changes - I would really prefer to remove them early not late so that we don't break Sakai 11 later in the dev cycle.

I think that Morpheus is working well enough at this point not to slow our development down.  And if we find a bug like SAK-28978 we will just fix it in Morpheus and move forward.

Thoughts / comments?

/Chuck