[Building Sakai] high cpu with a Image Animator thread

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Thu Sep 4 15:05:19 PDT 2014

No, there was no jira, nobody ever found a cause.

The only two tools in Sakai that use java.awt.* are Sitestats and Profile2.
The only thing that this stack tells us are that it involves gif images and
it's ends up inside a Native Method, which means it's outside java and into
an operating system call. So it could be a lot of possible things wrong,
possibly not even involving any code in Sakai, since I've never seen it
anywhere else.

Chuck Hedrick did mention it on the list back in 2011 (As Zhen mentioned)
but that was about it.
http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/sakai-dev/2011-April/011890.html

Not sure the similarties there? It could even be in a library like POI
(which are often upgraded release to release), but you'd still have
expected someone else to see this in production?

You're on the latest JDK 7 right? It looks like there were some changes to
better image handling in this library in JDK7
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk7u/jdk7u/jdk/log/828c4fedd29f/src/share/native/sun/awt/image/awt_parseImage.c

And further changes coming up for JDK8
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8/jdk8/jdk/log/687fd7c7986d/src/share/native/sun/awt/image/awt_parseImage.c

Which might improve, or make this go away, at least from what it was in
2011.