[Building Sakai] Gradebook exception - shouldn't this be caught ?

George Pipkin gpp8p at Virginia.EDU
Fri Oct 31 11:59:30 PDT 2014

Hi -

    I noticed that in Gradebook when an instructor is grading an
assignment and another instructor or TA also saves grades for the same
assignment, what the second instructor see's is a "screen crash" - an
exception displayed on the screen instead of an understandable error
message.  I can cause this to happen in 2.9x and sakai-10.0.  In 2.9 I
treid to head it off by catching the Exception in AssignmentsDetailBean.
processAssignmentIdChange.  I added try/catch blockers there and
inserted some Exceptions in method declarations lower down in the call
chain, but this does not seem to do the trick.  Is there any way to do
this ?  I really would like to show the message associated with
assignment_details_locking_failure as opposed to a stack-trace.

                                                 - George Pipkin
                                                     U.Va.