[Building Sakai] Feedback on an enhancement idea (global rubric)

Jim Mezzanotte jmezzanotte at anisakai.com
Tue Oct 28 15:42:45 PDT 2014

I've been kicking around a potential enhancement approach, but as a
strictly-functional person I have no idea if it's possible (or
advisable) from a dev perspective.

The idea is to create a "global" rubric helper that could be included
in a variety of Sakai tools. The advantage would be adding rubric
capability for many contexts and scenarios, and not having to develop
it on a per-tool basis.  I'm thinking of how the date picker works as
a global component.

Here are some questions I can think of, I'm sure there are more:

1. Rubric authoring
Lessons has simple but effective rubric authoring. Could this be
re-purposed for other tools?

2. Rubric storage
Where would rubrics be stored? I'll confess I'm not sure where newly
created Lessons rubrics go--there's nothing in a site's resources or
in the Admin WS resources, and it also looks like you can't delete a
rubric you create.

Perhaps rubrics could be tied to users, like question pools in Samigo?
And like question pools, they could be shared? Maybe a rubric admin UI
in My Workspace for each user?

3. Scoring/viewing
How would you enter and review rubric scores? Maybe a UI window that
opens when you enable the rubric? How would rubric scores display to
students? Maybe rubric scores could feed the score entries in tools
such as Assignments and Forums, and rubrics could also be added to the
Gradebook to feed gradebook item entries (in the way that the iRubric
integration works).

Thanks in advance for feedback--

Best,
Jim Mezzanotte