[Building Sakai] PUSH notification service for mobile devices.

Alexandre Balleste alexandre.balleste at udl.cat
Tue Oct 28 11:17:57 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

At University of Lleida we want to build a mobile app for our
institution (iOS, Android and maybe windows). We are in early stages of
analysis and the list of features is still under discussion. The main
goal that the board direction want to achieve is to attract a large
number of students to get a new quick channel to communicate with them.
A feature that we think that would make attractive the app to students
is that they could receive fine grained notifications about their
enrolled courses like "Tomorrow class is cancelled". Now, all these
notifications are sent to their institutional mail but they use to
ignore them.

In addition, we use Sakai beyond the learning capabilities;  we use it
as Intranet and collaboratives workspaces. We have several sites with
different subsets of members of our institution like all staff, all
students, students of a faculty, students of a degree... . These are the
reasons that make us think that the solution that fits better to our
purpose is to use Sakai as notification generator linked to a PUSH
services that send messages to mobile devices. The implementation of a
new Notification service to extend the current Sakai's notification
service (mail delivery) seems the easy way to implement it.

Did anybody have any project or idea in mind like this?

Regards,

Alex.

Alexandre Ballesté Crevillén  alexandre.balleste at udl.cat
University of Lleida
Information and Communication Systems Service
Analyst / Programmer

Tlf: +34 973 702148
Fax: +34 973 702130
Twitter: @sinmsinm