[Building Sakai] Problems with jdk 1.7.0_71 and assignments

John Hall hall at udel.edu
Tue Oct 28 08:32:46 PDT 2014

We've recently upgraded Java to 1.7.0_71 on out Sakai 2.9.3 instance and
since then have experienced a strange problem with the assignment tool.

For a very small number of submissions the assignment id is being corrupted
at some point -- not apparently in the database since I've checked the
problem submissions and assignments, including decoding the BASE64 XML and
all assignment IDs look OK there.  In all the cases I've examined, just the
first character of the UUID is changing at some point to a non-hexadecimal
character (I've seen 'r','s',etc).

For instance I added some logging, and can see that the assignment ID is
correct at some point, but then gets changed:

2014-10-28 10:34:43,267 DEBUG ajp-bio-8019-exec-8
org.sakaiproject.assignment.impl.BaseAssignmentService - Got
assignmentId=17a46ae0-6ccc-45ce-b68f-00b39db78a52 from ref

2014-10-28 10:34:43,273 DEBUG ajp-bio-8019-exec-8
org.sakaiproject.assignment.impl.BaseAssignmentService - calling
submissionReference with assignmentId=s7a46ae0-6ccc-45ce-b68f-00b39db78a52

The URLs for grading in the assignment list for grading have the incorrect
assignmentId and cause an NPE at the point it tries to get a grade, since
the assignment doesn't exist under that ID.   No further assignments are
listed so Instructors are stuck not being able to grade further
submissions.  I suspect something's going wrong in Velocity.

I reproduced the problem on a dev server by copying the database over, and
when I changed it back to Java 1.7.0_65 the problem went away.  All the
assignmentids and grading links were correct in the GUI and no NPE.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I'm trying to figure out if it's a
general sakai problem, in which case I'll  put a Jira in, or something
specific to our local deployment.

Thanks,
John Hall
--