[Building Sakai] Sections and permissions

nadine blanchette nadine.blanchette at hec.ca
Fri Oct 24 06:29:42 PDT 2014

Hi everyone!

We are testing different permission configurations in our environment and I have some questions.

Let’s say one class is offered, and there will be 4 different sections.
We have one coordinator who supervise, and 2 professors teaching 2 sections each.
I want for the professors to be able to create items for the sections they supervise but not for the whole site.

So in the calendar, I removed the “Create events” permission on the site level for the instructor.

[cid:image001.png at 01CFEF6D.50187E90]

But give the permission at the section levels:

[cid:image002.png at 01CFEF6D.50187E90]

However, the professor still have the ability to create events for the whole site, but at least, the groups option is selected by default.

[cid:image003.png at 01CFEF6D.50187E90]

With the announcement tool, that option was removed if the user did not have permission to create for the whole site, so this works fine.
[cid:image004.png at 01CFEF6D.50187E90]

In the assignment tool, however, the possibility to submit to the site is removed, but apparently still selected by default. If the user forget to select the “Groups” option, the assignment is created without warning and assigned to the whole site. Since he doesn’t have right at the site level, he can’t modify it anymore.

[cid:image005.png at 01CFEF6D.50187E90]
Furthermore, the possibility to indicate that the assignment is for a group is gone.

Also, I thought that since the teachers were assigned to sections, even if they selected “Site”, it would only be send to the section for which they have rights,  but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

What is the standard behavior?
Any advice on how to set-up our permissions for the situation describe above?

Thanks.

--
[HEC]<http://www.hec.ca/>

Nadine Blanchette
Analyste fonctionnelle
Gestion des Technologies de l'information

[hecca]<http://www.hec.ca/>

[Agrements]

3333, chemin Queen‐Mary, Montréal (Québec) H3V 1A2
Téléphone : 514-340-6000, poste 2216

[recyclez]

Pensons à l'environnement
avant d'imprimer