[Building Sakai] Sakai 11 planning

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Thu Oct 16 12:36:27 PDT 2014

[sakai-dev and sakai-pmc]

Hi All,

Today on the Sakai Core team meeting call [a] we started brainstorming
upcoming versions of Sakai. In the next week or two, we will go into
more depth in the discussion and review the Sakai 11 strawperson plan
[b]. We will also be looking for updates from all the major projects
that are possibly targeting a Sakai 11 (like LEaP, Morpheus, Gradebook,
etc).

So, two requests for you:

1) Plan on attending the next couple of Sakai Core team calls if at all
possible [c]. They are still on Thursdays at 10 am Eastern / 7 am
Pacific/ 2 pm GMT

2) If you are working on major functionality changes please provide a
status update and a rough time line of what you are thinking at the
moment. Either write to sakai-dev , sakai-pmc or to me at
neal.caidin at apereo.org

No decisions or recommendations came out of today's discussion but to
give you a sense of our discussion, I'll mention a few things. We are
leaning towards a 10.3 release by December, and would appreciate any
suggestions about important blocker bugs or fixes that would be useful
to schools upgrading around the January 2015 timeframe (OMG, we are
talking about 2015. Didn't 2014 just get here?) .

We discussed possibly defining a Sakai 11 based on what we could
realistically accomplish by the end of January. We also floated an idea
that if we have major infrastructure changes (iFrame removal, Morpheus
for mobile responsive design, etc.) that perhaps we should consider a
Sakai 12 beta during the Spring to give these major changes plenty of
time to burn in . Or maybe we extend the deadline for code freeze beyond
January to get more of a feature rich release. Etc.

Now is the time to start ramping up our discussion and planning before
the holiday season distracts us all. :-)

Cheers,
Neal

[a] Sakai Core team agenda from today -
http://etherpad.ctools.org/p/rmmt-2014-10-16
[b] Sakai 11 strawperson -
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/REL/Sakai+11+straw+man
[c] Teleconference information :
Default Dial-in Number:+1-323-375-2185
Your Conference Code: 8600146
Find a Dial in number in your city:
https://apps.calliflower.com/account/call_in_numbers?organizer=328940
Skype:
Add ‘calliflowerskype’ as a contact in Skype. You can then call
Calliflower directly from Skype.

--
Neal Caidin
Sakai Community Coordinator