[Building Sakai] Remove Axis Web services from Sakai

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Mon Nov 3 12:46:31 PST 2014

The JIRA contains lots of good and relevant information:

Apache Axis 1.4 hasn't been updated in about 8 years, and several of us
have run into annoying problems with Axis1 especially compilation issues
while the web services are being accessed during a restart.

At Apereo Unconf in Phoenix, John mentioned possibility of creating stubs
for all existing methods (except method overrides) in CXF using wsdl2java.
Then several of us volunteered to help out and move old code into a new CXF
project.

We want to reserver the use of rpc style webservices to help with legacy
support. Soap encoding is not longer supported by any modern framework out
there but our testing has shown the rpc/literal style which CXF does
support appears to work with legacy client code (at least what we've
tested). In addition since exposing the same logic as Rest is trivial
(simple annotations) we are doing that as well. This way any new client
code can use that method. In theory switching over to using this should
only require that clients update the wsdl location (or even some rewrite
rules in your load balancer could do that), and then deal with any method
names that might be different now because overloading of names is not
allowed.

The endpoints follow this convention, prefix soap in path to get
rpc/liternal services, /rest to get the rest style:

So http://localhost:8080/sakai-axis/SakaiScript.jws?wsdl now becomes:

http://localhost:8080/sakai-ws/soap/sakai?wsdl

a rest call might be like this:

http://localhost:8080/sakai-ws/rest/sakai/addNewUser?sessionid=40d2075f-a3d9-4a3f-b93f-f61df97e07d9&eid=blah&=firstname=john&lastname=bush&email=asdf@asdfasdfasdf.com&type=registered&password=yourmom

append the service name + method name (case sensitive) and then pass in
params as query parameters. We need to do some work to support http status
codes and maybe json vs xml in rest services, but that is easy with cxf
from here on out.

Full wsdl list:
http://localhost:8080/sakai-ws/soap/sakai?wsdl
http://localhost:8080/sakai-ws/soap/shortenedurl?wsdl
http://localhost:8080/sakai-ws/soap/assignments?wsdl
http://localhost:8080/sakai-ws/soap/contenthosting?wsdl
http://localhost:8080/sakai-ws/soap/messageforums?wsdl
http://localhost:8080/sakai-ws/soap/job?wsdl
http://localhost:8080/sakai-ws/soap/login?wsdl
http://localhost:8080/sakai-ws/soap/testsandquizzes?wsdl
http://localhost:8080/sakai-ws/soap/portallogin?wsdl

The RemoteHostFilter is still on all calls so this stuff is secured in the
same was axis was via webservices.allow properties. To enable broadly for
development:

webservices.allowlogin=true
webservices.allow = .*