[Building Sakai] Unresponsive jvm .. any suggestions?

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Thu May 8 23:03:30 PDT 2014

FWIW, we also sometimes get these two errors from the LDAP code, but they’ve never been correlated with any actual problems:

Exception in thread "Thread-8535" java.lang.RuntimeException: Connection.freeWriteSemaphore(4296): semaphore not owned by any thread
        at com.novell.ldap.Connection.freeWriteSemaphore(Unknown Source)
        at com.novell.ldap.Message.putReply(Unknown Source)
        at com.novell.ldap.Connection$ReaderThread.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Exception in thread "Thread-9061" java.lang.RuntimeException: Connection.freeWriteSemaphore(4559): thread does not own the semaphore, owned by -3
        at com.novell.ldap.Connection.freeWriteSemaphore(Unknown Source)
        at com.novell.ldap.Message.putReply(Unknown Source)
        at com.novell.ldap.Connection$ReaderThread.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Have you done a thread dump (kill -3 PID) to see what threads are running when the jvm becomes unresponsive? It could be something unrelated to ldap.

Regards
Stephen

---
Stephen Marquard, Learning Technologies Co-ordinator
Centre for Innovation in Learning and Teaching (CILT, formerly CET and HAESDU)
University of Cape Town
http://www.cet.uct.ac.za<http://www.cet.uct.ac.za/>
stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za<mailto:stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za>