[Building Sakai] Unresponsive jvm .. any suggestions?

Kenwrick Chan kchan at hawaii.edu
Wed May 7 11:06:37 PDT 2014

Thanks Sam.
Yes, it seems like the JVM is running out of memory, but we just configured
JMX on one of app servers last night so we hope to get a definitive sense
of things then.

We don't have that
memory.org.sakaiproject.user.api.UserDirectoryService.callCache
configured in sakai.properties so we'll enable that.

With LDAP debug turned we do see
2014-05-05 09:41:13,178 DEBUG TP-Processor352
edu.amc.sakai.user.JLDAPDirectoryProvider
- getUsers(): [Collection size = 96]

and on the LDAP side of house the query returns a large amounts of
[05/May/2014:09:41:12 -1000] conn=5443345 op=1 RESULT err=0 tag=101
nentries=0 etime=0

Users that no longer exist on the LDAP server (I think they've been
de-provisioned, but are still in a 1000(s)+ user orientation course for new
students).

Could a large volume of this type of transaction generate that error?

-Kenwrick