[Building Sakai] Unresponsive jvm .. any suggestions?

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Wed May 7 08:15:45 PDT 2014

> We're been running the same sakai codebase with no changes for well over a
> year.  (2.7.x, we haven't had the resources to migrate yet).  Recently
> we've run into an issue where an individual front end app server becomes
> unresponsive.  In the days following we've upped the available memory to
> the OS and the tomcat app server, but eventually it just fails to respond.

Is the JVM running out of memory?  Are you tracking memory use with JMX or
VisualVM?

> There are no errors on the ldap side of the house and our network guys say
> there isn't an issue there impacting access to our ldap servers.  Any
> suggestions?

The JIRA you referenced seemed to point to some LDAP servers becoming
unresponsive under heavy load.  Are you sure the LDAP server is responding
correctly to every request?  Have you tried manual connections using a
command-line tool like ldapsearch?

Also, a side note: the default UserDirectoryService.callCache in Sakai is
only five minutes by default.  If your user attributes in LDAP are not
changing very often, this cache should be raised to be much higher (half a
day or a full day, even).  Increasing that cache looks like this in
sakai.properties:

memory.org.sakaiproject.user.api.UserDirectoryService.callCache=timeToLiveSeconds=86400,timeToIdleSeconds=0,maxElementsInMemory=50000