[Building Sakai] Sending Emails from James

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Tue Mar 11 11:01:02 PDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Nguni Phakela <nguni52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I want to use James, I configure the serverName, set

James is for incoming mail for the Email Archive tool.  The Email Archive
tool allows you to setup instant web-backed listservers.  So I can have a
chem-101-fall2014 at sakai.example.edu.  You would first need to make sure
mail for the domain was routed (DNS MX records) to the correct server.
 Then James would process the incoming mail and add it to the Email Archive
tool in the appropriate course.

> smtp at org.sakaiproject.email.api.EmailService=localhost
>
> set the smtp.dns.1 = xxx.x.x.x
>
> smtp.dns.2 = xxx.x.x.x

This is where you define your outgoing email.  These would be
Announcements, Assignment submissions, Messages, etc.

Do you have a mail server like Sendmail or Postfix running on localhost?
 Do you have a central SMTP server at the institution?  If you have a
central SMTP server, use that address here instead of localhost.

> I also used instructions from here: https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+Admin+Guide+-+Email+Configuration
>
> What else do I need to do? Emails are still not being sent by James from Sakai.

You need to describe your setup in more detail and show log messages that
show mail delivery failure.

--Sam