[Building Sakai] Drag & Drop notifications

Daniel Merino daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Thu Jun 26 01:10:49 PDT 2014

Hi everybody,

after running D&D in our production 2.9.2 server, our users are really
happy with the new feature but, as good users, they want more! We have
been requested to add email notifications to D&D uploads as they are
already in old resources upload form. I have been looking at the code
and I have doubts about the best way to do this.

The current mechanism fires an event for every uploaded file with
commitResource() method and this event is separately configured to send
an email if user wants to do it. One notification is sent for each file.

However, we think that this has no sense with D&D, as dozens of files
can be uploaded at a time. If users want to make a notification, a
single email should be sent with a list of files in it IMHO. So
commitResource() is also called for every uploaded file and events are
registered but with no notification and, after uploads have finished, I
plan to use EmailService in Resouces to send the email, without firing
any event for it.

I would really like to know your thoughts about this before starting the
job.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
--
Daniel Merino Echeverría
daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Gestor de E-learning - Centro Superior de Innovación Educativa.