[Building Sakai] Sakai+CAS+Multiple LDAP servers, faisable?

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Mon Jun 2 12:51:25 PDT 2014

> the idea is to let Sakai for the application, LDAP for user account
> (managed by institutions themselves), and CAS between the two worlds.
>
> I read that CAS can authenticate against LDAP. However, can we setup CAS
> to authenticate against multiple LDAP servers?

I'm sure you can easily modify CAS or Sakai to communicate with multiple
LDAP servers based on a user's login id.

But this sounds like a perfect use case for federated authentication using
Shibboleth where each institution would host their own Shibboleth Identity
Provider.  This would allow users to login to their home institution's
identity provider and Sakai would allow the users access based on shared
trust.