[Building Sakai] V10 source code?

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Mon Jul 21 05:06:01 PDT 2014

You don't have to build contrib tools at the same time as all the others.
You can build the core Sakai and later decide to add in contrib tools. Many
things are in contrib because

- They require significant additional time or work to setup and use (like
evaluations)
- They have licenses that are (or were) incompatible with the ECL
(Gradebook 2, at least in previous versions)
- They require paying for some external service in order to use (like
iRubric, turnitin, big blue button)
- They just aren't as well supported as a similar core tool or deemed as
essential to teaching and learning

Longsight doesn't add anything in by default over what you see in the core.
We will advise our clients about what is available both in contrib and LTI
while mentioning the potential risks involved in using these features. ANI
has their own custom licensed distribution which probably includes things
from different sources.

i'd say the most popular contrib tools (that doesn't require paying an
external license) are running on the nightly experimental server.
http://nightly2.sakaiproject.org/ (Click on the additional capabilities
link)
A list of all tools including contrib which appears updated pretty recently
is here: https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/MGT/Directory

Though some of the projects on this list may not run in current versions of
Sakai and may no longer be supported.

Currently to use rubrics in Sakai in gradebook and for assignments, you
need iRubric. Lessons in 10 has support for rubrics for student content in
Lessons. It would be nice if a simple rubrics tool could exist OOTB but
that hasn't been written yet.

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 12:04 AM, Steve Swinsburg <steve.swinsburg at gmail.com