[Building Sakai] Control number of users in Sakai sites

alaanizar at iihem.ac.ma alaanizar at iihem.ac.ma
Wed Jul 9 05:07:37 PDT 2014

Hello,

I created a JIRA for this issue: SAK-26624

Thank you Steve, sooo much!

Yours,
Alaa NIZAR

> This would be pretty simple to do if it was global
configuration like you
> suggested in sakai properties. In the kernel a check could be
added before
> adding a user and throw a specific error if the limit had been reached.
> This should cover all cases of adding a user, site info, joining a site,
> profile
site crwation and invitation, Web services,  etc.

> The problem with doing it
via webservices is that you would need to modify
> the various tools that can add users to
sites.

<alaanizar at iihem.ac.ma> wrote:

>> Hi,
>> Definitely yes.
>>
>> A new feature will take more time and resources to be done.
>>
>> I hope if there is a work around it.

thought of a new link tool, with php. The idea is to let the site owner
>> add/remove
participants through forms and webservices.

>> The control with be done
softly in php nothing to do with sakai code at
>> all.
>>
>> What
do you think?

message --------

From: Neal Caidin
>> Date:08/07/2014 16:51
(GMT+00:00)
>> To: alaanizar at iihem.ac.ma
>> Cc: sakai-dev

Subject: Re: [Building Sakai] Control number of users in Sakai sites

Hi Alaa,

alaanizar at iihem.ac.ma
>>  July 8, 2014 at 12:16 PM
>> Hi All,
>>
>> We have a special use case that I want to share with you and try to
find
>> solutions for it:
>>
>> I have normal project sites, that
users can create by their own. Those
>> type of sites, and because they are available
to anyone in the system to
>> create, can grow high. I want to limit the number of
users in this type of
>> sites to a configurable number.
>> Whereas online
courses are created by the admin and the site owner can
>> add/remove participants.
Because those type of sites use BigBlueButton as
>> video conferencing solution, I want
to limit the number of members that the
>> site owner can add.
>> Yet, I
want Tutoring type of site to be limited to no more than 10
>> students.
>>
>> Ideally, I should be some configuration like this:
>>
>> max.participants.count=4
>> max.participants.project=20

max.participants.course=50
>> max.participants.onlinecourse=30

max.participants.tutoring=10

>> This way, the number of users per site is
shown on the site setup tool,
>> while adding participants.

This must be set by the sakai admin, with the possibility to change it per
>> created
site, just like how site quota works.

>> Besides, we are not using any
roster or student systems.

>> To put it simple, **It's a quota for site
members.**

>> Yours,
>> Alaa NIZAR
>>

>> --
>>
>> Alaa NIZAR, BA in MIS, LPIC

IIHEM Network Services Manager
content by *MailScanner* <http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is
>> believed to be
clean.
subject of
>> "unsubscribe"
>>

>> --
>> Neal Caidin
>> Sakai Community Coordinator
>> Apereo
Foundation
>> neal.caidin at apereo.org
>> Skype me! (but let me know in
advance for the first interaction) - nealkdin

>> --
>> dangerous content by
*MailScanner* <http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is
>> believed to be clean.