[Building Sakai] Question about Samigo and RemoveAssessmentThread

Cris J Holdorph holdorph at unicon.net
Tue Jul 1 10:53:53 PDT 2014

We have a production system that has run out of memory 3 times in the
last two days (just over 24 hours).  The memory dump the system admin
took, showed a few instances of the samigo "RemoveAssessmentThread" running.

I looked into that code, and I'm confused as to why this code has to be
a thread at all.  It really only seems to do two things:

assessmentService.removeAssessment(this.assessmentId);
EventTrackingService.post(EventTrackingService.newEvent("sam.assessment.remove",
"assessmentId=" + assessmentId, context,
true,NotificationService.NOTI_NONE));

I tried to look through the subversion logs, but it looks like this
thread existed right from day one when the code base was imported into
subversion from cvs.  So no clues there.

Does anyone know why this code exists as a separate thread?  Is there
any reason why this couldn't/shouldn't be simplified and just done
without the use of a Thread?

---- Cris J H