[Building Sakai] life after axis

John Bush jbush at anisakai.com
Thu Jan 30 23:16:28 PST 2014

I've seen from both php and .net client some weird stuff.  Like after
awhile you'll start getting errors saying method takes a string even
though you passed a string in and other things that appear to be
mismatches of types.

In php, I traced the problem back the caching of wsdls, restarts of
Sakai can confuse client code that is caching wsdls.  We limp along by
removing the jws classes before a restart which seems to help, but
once awhile this crops up again.  We have one client that relies on
axis as part of their logon routine from a portal, so any disruptions
are a huge problem.

We've also seen situations where under load if a whole bunch of
threads hit the server at the same time to compile the jws files, you
can get a whole bunch of compiliations happening that eat up permgen.

Its a bunch of weird stuff that in the end, leads to instability. I
believe axis 1 is known to have a bunch of memory leaks and thread
issues as well.