[Building Sakai] Sakai 10 Font Size Improvement

Mustansar Mehmood mm3 at rice.edu
Tue Jan 14 13:46:49 PST 2014

These are great ideas based on response I read I think here the points
to take home from this discussion so far.

1-Typography is just one part of the puzzle to improve readability and
visual appeal and there are going to varied size and resolution of
screens no matter what(Like always:))
2-We need a skin that is somehow(automatically or property/parameter
settings ) adjusts typography as well as rendering of other HTML
components such as input boxes etc  not just the font size
3-Perhaps same Skin should be releases in a few separate versions
addressing different subset of resolutions/sizes
Regards,
Mustansar

On 01/14/2014 03:00 PM, mark.reilly wrote:
> This is a skin question.
>
> I would go with a responsive typography to adjust the base font size in
> relation to your screen size. You don't want to have a huge font size on a
> small screen and have to scroll like crazy.
>
> Here's a quick overview.
> http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2012/10/a-simple-guide-to-responsive-typography/
>
> To find an appropriate font-size for your screen size you'll need to use the
> line measure (length). The line measure for body copy is between 50-75
> characters is the standard best practice.
>
> Fluid Type
> http://trentwalton.com/2012/06/19/fluid-type/
>
> This is a fairly hot topic in web design at the moment os various approaches
> are being used. There are a few new units in CSS that are helping, rem and
> viewport units.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>
> Mark Reilly, PhD
> User Experience Designer
> Academic Technology Services - ITS
> New York University

Mustansar Mehmood
Educational System Developer& Integrator

Information Technology
6100 Main St. MS 119
Houston Texas 77005

Phone:(713)348-2523
Fax  :(713)348 6099
email:mustansar at rice.edu

I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when,you  looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
    -- Poul Anderson