[Building Sakai] Sakai development estimate

Benjamin Fouassier b.fouassier at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 13:53:43 PST 2014

Hi everybody,

I am completely new to Sakai (and open source projects actually), beginner
in Java (but advanced in OOP and design patterns using PHP and AS3 with
FLEX framework) and would like to have your opinion about a Sakai project
implementation in terms of time estimate and feasibility.
Without giving too much details, here are the main steps :

- Deploy Sakai from the current trunk on a "classic" hosting platform (that
validates the requirement Java / Tomcat / etc..) to validate the process of
installation / deployment.
- Changing completely the presentation layer, including the way lessons are
visually represented as the menu to simplify a lot the navigation.
- Extend/create some modules to add features in terms of sharing/peer
reviewing
- Responsive design
- Localization
- Deploy the final version on a cloud based environment such as AWS

A rough estimate would be useful to know if this can be done within a
couple of months, by a single developer, or this isn't realistic at all.

Although from your experience, what do you think is the best way to get the
development going, to start from the last release stable version and don't
update or keep the code up to date with the last improvements committed in
trunk ?

Ultimately I would be glad to have your general opinion about this kind of
sakai development.

Thank you all for your help.
Benjamin