[Building Sakai] Build from source - which tomcat versions are allowed?

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Sun Feb 23 07:07:52 PST 2014

The version we define in master for that tag is the version we'd done QA
last on. This version isn't changed any more often than once a minor
release since we have to put various binaries and jars into our local
repository, often things break from the tomcat upgrade and we and do
regression testing to find issues like that one.

The only break I know of in tomcat 7 was between 7.0.34 and 7.0.35 that
caused sitestas - SAK-339 and webdav - SAK-23156. So if you want to run a
newer tomcat you have to at least be on 2.9.2. If you're earlier
(2.9.1/2.9.0) you have to be running tomcat 7.0.34 or earlier or upgrade
these tools.

For instance in the 2.9.1 master
https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/master/tags/master-2.9.1/pom.xml
<sakai.tomcat.version> is 7.0.21 so that's near the highest you can run (or
you'll hit errors like this sitestats one)

The latest 2.9.x is still on 7.0.39, the same as 2.9.2. But I haven't heard
of any other breaking changes other than those in 7.0.35 that should
prevent you from being on the latest if you're on 2.9.3 or 2.9.x.

Currently for 10 it looks like we're at 7.0.42, but I think we'd look to
upgrading that to the latest 7.0.x and doing QA on the most recent version
before release prior to release of 10. (
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-25777)