[Building Sakai] Requiring JDK 7 for building/running Sakai 11?

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at it.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 20 09:31:06 PST 2014

On 20 February 2014 17:21, Matthew Jones <matthew at longsight.com> wrote:

> As a related issue, I know of one thing that would make our code
> non-backward compatible with 1.6, but that's in genericdao and not in the
> core. You can't compile that right now in Java 7 because there was a change
> to the interface in java.sql which is not backward compatible.

[..snipped..]

(Issue in Java 7 with java.sql)

> *Area:* API: JDBC
> *Synopsis:* New JDBC Methods, Including new Methods in Interfaces
> support JDBC 4.1. This includes methods added to the java.sql.Connection,
> java.sql.Driver,javax.sql.CommonDatasource, and java.sql.Statement interfaces.
> Because all methods of an interface must be implemented, previous code that
> uses these interfaces will not compile on Java SE 7 unless you add the new
> methods. See the JDBC documentation for more information.
> *Nature of Incompatibility:* source
> *RFE:* 6589685<http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6589685>

search-test used profile based activation to build different code based on
the JDK being used if you then use an maven classifier you can have the
same project build one output for JDK1.6 and one for JDK 1.7.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3092085/building-same-project-in-maven-with-different-artifactid-based-on-jdk-used

--
  Matthew Buckett, VLE Developer, IT Services, University of Oxford