[Building Sakai] Requiring JDK 7 for building/running Sakai 11?

Cris J Holdorph holdorph at unicon.net
Thu Feb 20 09:23:14 PST 2014

One of the 'benefits' to requiring JDK 7, is actually in simplification.
  Right now, to support Sakai running on both JDK 6 and JDK 7, you have
to work around issues such as the one mentioned in KNL-1083 in two
different JVMs.  Certain things work differently in each JVM and while
you try to support both, you have to do extra work.  By only supporting
one JDK, you make support easier.

Current OSX bundling of the JDK has always been a pain.  But take Sakai
out of the picture for a moment.  Generically, if you are going to put
up a new application on your server, would you use a base
os/tool/library that was not going to receive security updates?  Or
would you use a os/tool/library that was going to receive updates?  Ok,
so you went with the one that would get updates.  Now, that doesn't
match what is shipped out of the box with your developers Mac.  What do
you do about it?

So yes, requiring someone to install a new JDK on their mac might be a
barrier to using Sakai.  But requiring a system admin to use a library
that doesn't receive support is also a barrier.  If you go the approach
of supporting both... well that's extra effort for the project to
support both.  Pick your poison.  But I disagree that the statement that
there is no benefit to requiring JDK 7.

---- Cris J H