[Building Sakai] Requiring JDK 7 for building/running Sakai 11?

Aaron Zeckoski azeckoski at unicon.net
Thu Feb 20 09:13:15 PST 2014

Current OSX still bundles JDK 6 by default (release from 2013-10-15).
Lots of servers out there are still running Java 6

We could require everyone who uses a Mac to figure out how to install
a newer version in order to use Sakai but I think that is likely to
just make people not bother and use Moodle instead. Current PHP is
5.5.8 (9 Jan 2014) but newest moodle 2.6.1 (13th Jan 2014) only
requires PHP 5.3.3 (22 July 2010).

Bear in mind this bug with JDK 7:
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-1083

I don't see the benefit and I do see lots of negatives.
-AZ