[Building Sakai] Requiring JDK 7 for building/running Sakai 11?

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at it.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 20 08:43:14 PST 2014

I know at the moment JDK 6 is the minimum required for Sakai, does bumping
it up to JDK 7 (which was released July 2011) make sense for trunk (Sakai
11)?

JDK 6 from Oracle stopped getting public updated in Feb 2013.
The less JDKs we support the less possibility there is for cross JDK issues.
JDK 7 has some nice new language features:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/jdk7-relnotes-418459.html

JDK 7 is available in old distributions such as:
- Ubuntu 12.04 (released in 2012).
- Redhat Enterprise Linux 6 (release 2011).

Are there places that can't run on JDK 7?

--
  Matthew Buckett, VLE Developer, IT Services, University of Oxford