[Building Sakai] LTI Tool Consumer certification test results (ref: 9c4b2b44-fd14-442f-9962-6f1f71163848)

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Sat Feb 15 05:19:32 PST 2014

On Feb 14, 2014, at 5:22 AM, Adam Marshall <adam.marshall at it.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Are saying that the IMS LTI 2.0 spec is now finalised, published and is not subject to any more discussion / modification etc.?
>
> I was talking to the folks from iParadigm yesterday who seemed to think it wouldn’t be published until mid 2015. I will correct them!
>
> Good old Sakai – leading the field once more! Does this mean another tattoo then?
>
> adam

Yes - The Spec has been finalised and published for over a month.

What got finished this week was the certification test.  In effect IMS insists that the certification test is not official until at least two real products can pass the certification test.   The two products that were used to certify the certification were Sakai and Vitalsource.  It is a bit of a rough go for the first two (pioneers with arrows in their back and all) that pass the test because as we progress through months of iterations sometimes the spec is changed, sometimes the implementations are changed, and sometimes the tests change and all the way we make sure that we maintain consensus by meeting and approving each tweak.  We have had a working-but-not-final LTI 2.0 implementation in Sakai since the summer - but if you look a the commits you will see that it has evolved as last minute changes were made to the spec and tests as we found and fixed little mistakes or rough edges here and there.  Thankfully, I have good financial support for all the travel and my time spent coding because writing LTI 2.0 and participating in the finalisation of the spec has nearly been a year of heavy effort.

So it is open season on LTI 2.0.   Folks can start developing now, Sakai's nightly server functions as the best test harness for LTI 2.0 that is available :)  There is code for Java, PHP, and Rails in various stages of maturity.   The reusable Java and PHP code I wrote is of course Apache-licensed -  some of the other code is not yet publicly available.

In terms of Tattoos, I will likely do something when the first mainstream LMS ships LTI 2.0...  Which I hope to see before the end of this year.

/Chuck