[Building Sakai] Sakai Presentation layer

Cris J Holdorph holdorph at unicon.net
Tue Feb 11 14:10:01 PST 2014

I develop all my Sakai tools using Spring MVC and JSP as the templating
layer.  These tools are client specific and do not exist in the generic
Sakai codebase.  However, there is a tool developed by other Unicon
employees including Aaron Zeckoski and Bob Long based on Kaltura
integration that is an example Spring MVC/JSP tool.

I can not compare the experience of Spring MVC to Wicket.  I know I
absolutely hated JSF and RSF.  Wicket felt like yet another component
technology even if it was better, the component technology was part of
what I didn't like about JSF and RSF, so I did not ever pursue trying to
create a tool using it.

While there may not be any tools listed on that page, there are
definitely a lot of Sakai tools written in JSF.  It's not a technology I
would recommend, but rest assured it's in heavy use.

---- Cris J H