[Building Sakai] Sakai SVN to GitHub Migration

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 24 14:50:50 PST 2014

Hello,

We're planning on moving the trunk code of Sakai from SVN to GitHub on
Monday the 29th of December. Work on the 10.x and 2.9.x branches will
continue in SVN and nothing will be removed from SVN. The steps
involved in this will be:

- Evening Sunday 28th December
 -  SVN trunk folders in the main Subversion repository[1] go
read-only. We will make all the paths with /{folder}/trunk/ in them
read only so people can't make commits to these locations (this
won't include msub). This allows us to take a consistent snapshot for
the transition to git and prevents commits getting left only in SVN.

- Monday 29th December
 - A conversion of read-only trunk folders is done and it is merged
into one large project. The authors are updated with the details
captured from [2]. Once a satisfactory conversion is achieved it is
published on GitHub[3]. Work will start work on this at 10am GMT
and an announcement will go out to the list when it's complete.

- Tuesday 30th December
 - Everyone can check that that the conversion looks ok and things
haven't got lost in the process. At this point we decide if new work
continues in GitHub or if there are problems we have the option to
rollback and continue to work in SVN by making the trunk folders
writeable again and attempt a another conversion in the future.

Happy Christmas

[1] - https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/
[2] - https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/pages/viewpage.action?title=Migrating+from+SVN+to+Git%3A+SVN+trunk+committers+-%3E+Git+authors&spaceKey=PMC
[3] - https://github.com/sakaiproject/sakai

--
  Matthew Buckett, VLE Developer, IT Services, University of Oxford