[Building Sakai] heads-up on 2.9.x upgrade: see jldap provider bug fixes at SAK-23689 and SAK-23719

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Thu Sep 19 11:14:19 PDT 2013

Hi Bill,

You and I already maintain our own JLDAP forks, so I'm assuming trunk
changes wouldn't be all that painful for us.  The argument to remove the
JLDAP cache is that it is redundant and thus confusing to developers and
administrators.  Currently, the user info is cached in two different places
for two different times.  The UserDirectoryService checks its cache and
then asks JLDAP for the user.  JLDAP then looks up against the
institutional LDAP, caches the data, sends it back to UserDirectoryService
which also caches the data.  I think we should just simplify this code and
remove all of the caching in JLDAP and set a nice, sane caching time for
UserDirectoryService with good instructions on how an institution can
easily change the timeouts.  Then the answer to institutions looking for
better user load performance have a nice answer: boost your timeToLive on
the UserDirectoryService cache to keep your user info in memory longer and
reduce the LDAP fetching.

--Sam