[Building Sakai] Assignment issues when switching submission types

Brian Baillargeon bbailla2 at uwo.ca
Wed Oct 23 12:12:07 PDT 2013

At Western we're going to be fixing the following issue, and we'd like
to know if anybody is interested in the fix.

For clarity:
By "submission type" I'm refering to Inline, Inline & Attachments,
Attachments Only, Non-Electronic, and Single Uploaded File Only

The issue:
1) Instructor posts an assignment of submission type A
2) Student submits to the assignment
3) Instructor switches the assignment to submission type B (ie. they
overlooked the submission type / made a mistake / etc.)
4) Instructor views the student's submission, UI doesn't reflect the
submission type when the student submitted.

This can make submissions ungradable (ie. if A is inline only and B is
attachments only, the instructor can't see the inline content).

We think the best solution is to make the submissions aware of their own
submission type and retain these separately from the assignment's
submission type.

Here's the approach we're taking to fix this:
1) The assignment_submission table's xml will have a new entry
representing the submission type of the assignment. This submission type
will be determined from the time that the student viewed the assignment.
When the student submits, the submission will be processed accordingly
with this submission type. We won't be determining the submission's
submission type at the time of submission because if an instructor
switches the submission type while a student is working on their
assignment, the student could lose their progress.

2) When the instructor views a student's submission, the UI will reflect
the submission type associated with the submission (rather than the
submission type associated with the assignment). If the submission's
submission type defers from the assignment's current submission type, an
information box will say ""At the time of submission, this assignment
was set to <old submission type>, this assignment is currently set to
<new submission type>". If there's old data such that the submission
type is not present in the assignment_submission row's xml, then the UI
will reflect the assignment's submission type as it currently does.

3) If an instructor switches the submission type while there are
submissions, a warning message will appear saying "You are changing the
submission type, but this assignment has existing submissions. These
submissions will be displayed in the form they were originally submitted."

Just wanted to guage if anybody agrees/disagrees with this solution. Let
me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Brian Baillargeon