[Building Sakai] Run gradbook 1 and 2

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Wed Oct 23 10:50:25 PDT 2013

They technically can run side by side as they currently share the same data
model and service (edu-services)

But each gradebook UI may support slightly different features for grade
calculations in the front-end that may produce different results to the
students. Some later versions of Sakai have worked toward syncing these
features up, but you're still likely to see some features supported only by
one UI or the other. Features like drop lowest grades, drop highest, that
kind of thing were an issue in 2.8 but fixed in 2.9. I don't know the exact
gaps anymore. These would make the final grade calculations appear
differently to the student depending on what they are viewing and the
capabilities.

I remember talking about putting up a note in the UI of each that would
detect if the other one was running to this effect like "Having both
Gradebook and Gradebook 2 available in a course may provide different
scoring results to students, please remove one". But I think this ended up
not being an issue as schools would just pick one, and stealth the other or
maybe we just put it in the Site Info description that it was recommended
to just pick one or the other.